History of Loftin & Loftin in Hillsborough, NC
For nearly 60 years, our family firm has been located in historic downtown Hillsborough, just one block from the courthouse. In 1959, fresh out of UNC School of Law, Dalton H. Loftin hung his shingle and founded the firm. Almost 30 years later, he was joined by his son John D. Loftin in 1989. For nearly 20 years, father and son practiced side by side until 2014 when John hired Jason R. Jones, a former law student of his. We thus proudly fill our halls with three generations of graduates from the UNC School of Law, one of the nation’s premier legal institutions.
Our firm boasts a high pedigree of successful litigation in state, federal, and even tribal courts—securing multiple verdicts and settlements over $1,000,000. Loftin & Loftin has secured many such favorable outcomes for our clients:
- $3,000,000 dollars in settlement of injuries sustained from defective and dangerous products
- $2,750,000 dollars by verdict for a client’s personal injuries (at that time the largest jury verdict in Orange County history)
- $1,000,000 dollars in settlement of a will contest and trust-dissolution suit
- $1,000,000 dollars in settlement for a client injured by a trucking accident
- Representation of the Cherokee Tribal Court Judges in Federal District Court (gaining a favorable dismissal)
- Successful remand of a Capital post-conviction case before the North Carolina Supreme Court
- Successful family law appellate advocacy before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and North Carolina Supreme Court
- Changing North Carolina workers’ compensation precedent in a victorious suit at the North Carolina Supreme Court
In Orange County, our distinguished reputation precedes us, and as our client, it would precede you as well. No one can promise to deliver success in all legal proceedings, but Loftin & Loftin can promise to deliver that human touch to what can sometimes feel like unbearable life circumstances.